Heading into the New Year many people focus on resolutions for themselves or their family, but what about your career? It doesn’t matter if you are in a job you love or are hoping to make a change.. now is a good time to re-evaluate your career goals.
5 Things to Do Now to Give Your Career a Boost in 2017
- Happiness Check: First things first… are you happy in your current job? I know many people who are so busy keeping it all together day after day that they rarely stop to think if they are actually happy where they work. Does your schedule compliment your lifestyle? Are you paid enough? Now is a great time to take a minute to look at your current job situation and figure out what is working and what isn’t. Then see what needs to change, if anything.
- Networking Update: Check in with your email list. Reconnect with mentors and friends from past jobs. The new year is the perfect time to strengthen your business contacts. Check your linked in account and update it, if needed. Freshen up your resume.
- Set Career Goals: Where would you like to be at the end of 2017? Is there a project you want to take on? A promotion you have been thinking about going for? Set your intentions and figure out a step-by-step TIME SPECIFIC plan on how you are going to reach those goals.
- Meet with Your Boss: Now is a great time to set up a meeting with your boss. Discuss your goals with the company and ask your manager what their expectations are for you. If you think you are due for a raise now may be a good time to bring that up. (but read THIS first!)
- Organize Your Work Space: Clean out your email inbox, de-clutter your desktop, clean out your drawers. Treat yourself to some new notebooks or file folders or whatever it is that you use on a daily basis that is looking a little rough! 😉 Try to wrap up any projects of items that have been weighing you down or stressing you out so you can start the new year off fresh.
By doing the things mentioned, you are setting yourself up for a fantastic year! It is easy to lose sight of your career goals when you just work, work, work! Taking a moment to look at the whole picture can really make a big difference. Is there a career issue you struggle with or would like more advice on? Leave us a comment so we can write articles that will help you thrive!